From Ro-Ro’s Holiday Kitchen. If you let it simmer for hours, your home will smell amazing!
Wassail is a holiday drink, often served hot, brewed from the juice of apples or pears, sugar, spices, and sometimes alcohol. It should be served in individual mugs with a toast of “wassail” before drinking. Tradition holds that wassail was created by medieval monks who used it to toast one another while working at their desks. Wassail became popular during the winter holiday season because it was warming.
- 1/2 gallon apple cider or apple juice
- 1-quart orange juice
- 1-pint pineapple juice
- 1-pint apricot juice
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 2 oranges studded with cloves
- 5 cinnamon sticks or star anise
- 2/3 cups white sugar
- Rum - - if desired
- Mix ingredients and simmer for 15min to 2 hours
- DO NOT BOIL!
- Rum may be added just before serving; if desired